Thursday, October 29, 2009

Friends of Science????

The purpose of these websites is definitely to inform, but I think both are trying to persuade people to join their sides. Each of them is not hiding their stance on climate change and give the information to support their positions. Making sense of these sites is without doubt very difficult because it is hard to tell their agendas. I do think the “How to talk to a Climate Skeptic” has a little more credibility because it does take into consideration the others sides thoughts and arguments but then gives evidence to discredit them. This website is also more user-friendly, I would actually use it when someone was doubting my opinion (especially because I share the same opinion as the website!) Even if I did support the “Friends of Science” website, it just seems they have more of purpose than just being informants. They also point out that they are running on a very low budget so they need as much help as they can get so that their word can be spread. While this is fine, they need funding, the other website does not ask for money anywhere, it is more of a blog just trying to spread the facts. I am definitely biased so it is hard to give a subjective review on each of the websites, but even just looking at them for the facts is very difficult for both. The fact that they contradict each other even with their so-called facts makes it really tough to know whether one is “right.” At this point in time, it is easy to find a fact for any type of claim you want to make. I think unless you are a scientist you must take all of these sorts of sites with a grain of salt.

As I said before, I think the “How to talk to a Climate Skeptic” is a bit more convincing. It is for me in particular because these are all questions that I have heard asked before, and it is hard to know the answers. The author, it seems, has also obviously seen these doubts before and takes into account all of the questions skeptics might have. I realize the “Friends of Science” site does have a fact and myth page, they state that the information they use is not original, they collect it from other sites, which almost makes me believe they just find information that fits what they think. The other website’s author is a man who does his own blogging and research, and although his word isn’t the be all end all to climate change, the reality that he is testing and researching these topics seems more legitimate to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment