Thursday, November 12, 2009

Manietes

First of all, I think it's fairly evident to anyone who's in my other class on climate that I'm a big fan (is that an appropriate description for intellectual admiration? I don't know...) of Prof. Manietes' work: I think the trinity of despair idea is a challenge to an established order that needs to be challenged. It seems fairly apparent that the modern method of inspiring meaningful change has not been effective, but I agree that the odds (and statistics) seem to be in the environmental movement's favor in terms of popular support or concern for "green" causes. The idea of mobilizing small groups of dedicated people around logical pressure points is clever and derived from a long lineage of successful social justice movements. That said, there are a few aspects of Manietes' argument that are not necessarily wrong, but need clarification or perhaps reevaluation (something that I'm aware might come if I read his upcoming book).

While I really like the idea that not everyone needs to be on board to make significant change--and that, realistically, the time it takes to get everyone on board can impede the progress that might be made in the interem--I felt as though, at least in the lecture, Manietes diminished the importance of education activism. I agree that activism aimed at attempting to lasso every stray climate denier into some glorious kum bah yah circle of unity is pointless; however, public events that confront potentially borderline activists are extremely important. Again, I'm not in support of self-mastubatory "I'm better than you because I know the carbon footprint of my pet fish" exercises, but presenting events that could motivate potentially passionate proponents are essential. I know I wouldn't be involved in the climate movement without them.

Additionally, although I know that Manietes mentioned this, I think its really necessary to emphasize the importance of personal political action in establishing legitamacy. Pressuring leaders to make commitments while refusing to make them yourself is hypocritical and, worse yet, fails to impress the seriousness of the issues on those you're pitching them to. So maybe eating locally doesn't make a huge difference in aggregate emissions, but it is pretty essential if you're calling on your local supermarket to stock local milk.

I'm looking forward to reading Manietes' upcoming book where some of my issues migth be clarified.

No comments:

Post a Comment