Thursday, September 3, 2009

Discussion #1

Hey guys! My name's Kate and I'm a senior in SIS majoring in International Studies and minoring in French. I recently decided to focus on Environmental Politics for my SIS major because I think it's the most important issue facing us today. Its something I've been aware of and concerned about - (I'm an animal lover and animal rights issues are always closely tied to environmental ones) and truthfully, for a long time, I thought it was just one of those things that everyone automatically cared about. After all, our planet is the one thing that we all have in common, so why wouldn't we want to take care of it - even if it wasn't 'in peril'?! It was only when I got older that I realized that definitely wasn't the case. That being said I'm not going to pretend that I'm a huge practicing environmentalist, well-versed in the ways of the field. I don't make my own biodiesel and I can't spout out persuasive facts or figures to others about why they should care. Embarrassingly, I really don't do anything more than turn off lights when I'm not using them and recycle, but that's why I'm in this class now - to learn, deepen my interest, become educated and hopefully start contributing to a solution. It is important to me that for the first time, I feel emotion when I read texts for this class and my other one, Practical Environmentalism - I'm interested, enthralled even, and more importantly shocked and worried.  
   There are other, more personal reasons, as well. The majority of my family live down in Alabama and are firm believers that this "new" focus on the environment is a huge load of crap. My Aunt, Uncle and cousins just flat out don't believe in climate change ("That's Democratic foolishness! What a bunch of yahoos!"), mock 'going green' and laugh about carbon footprints and the impact of humans. During our visit this summer, I learned they simply don't recycle and that they feel that fossil fuels are "in the earth for a reason, for us to use and we had better use them up! We've still got plenty down there." I love them so much and we are all so close but their attitude about what I believe to be such a serious subject, is utterly fascinating to me. They are intelligent beings and unfortunately, they are not the only ones out there who feel this way. 
I think that their story helps to highlight the enormity of the issue. There are people like my family to persuade combined with  people like Stanley Fish: informed believers in the issue, but who feel no desire to take action.  Of course, I feel like such a bundle of hypocrisy writing this because here I am wanting to say 'Shame on you, Stanley for promoting this kind of mentality. For thinking that just because you confess your laziness, that it somehow makes it ok.' But then, just a few paragraphs ago, I basically admitted to the same thing! I believe in the issue (like Stanley), I care about the issue (unlike Stanley) but I don't do anything about the issue (like Stanely)! However, I think that's what we can learn from this article. I couldn't stand him, but he provides insight into the mentality of the majority. It's human nature to want to cling to your comfort areas and what you know. People will bitch and complain like Stanley's friend about having to unplug an appliance immediately after it has been used, because it goes against what is good and easy - what they are familiar with. And they will resist with all their might. Two liter bottles of pop in the grocery stores are all that remain of our country's attempt to completely switch over to the metric system. But we have to just keep pushing for change. Stanley, his friend and all the rest of us are going to have to learn to make all of those little conservation tips and tricks second nature because it will truly have an impact! Unfortunately, I believe that any actual solution is going to come about by focusing more heavily on the big picture - namely by decreasing the cost of being environmentally friendly - something (actually, one of many things) that Fish complains about in his article. Unfortunately, it seems people will act only if they get something in return (I guess simply saving he planet upon which we live is not enough). That coupled with the acceptance that living more simply is completely doable and won't detract from happiness, but I think it's even harder to change a whole population's beliefs and mentality that more=success=happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment